Announcing a new magazine-style feature, "Story of the Month" for short fiction. There will be a rolling submissions process, with one short story selected monthly, and published on NewShortStories.com.
What You Need to Know
- Language: English
- Genre: Literary fiction
- Previously unpublished
- Entirely your own work. Do not submit someone else's work on their behalf. (It happens.)
- Word range: 1500 to 4500
- Only one submission at a time please. Please wait till you get a response on that before submitting another.
- Do not include quotes for which copyright permission would have to be obtained, e.g. song lyrics or other excerpts, including epigraphs, unless the quoted text is in the public domain.
- Times New Roman, 12 point font, double-spaced is good but it's not the be all and end all.
- No colours, graphics or pictures. It's all about the text.
- Document formats accepted: .doc, .docx, or .RTF. Unfortunately we cannot accept PDF format. If you don't know what any of that means, don't worry. It's the file you upload, and it should be fine.
- Consideration: Each Story of the Month author will receive one of our back catalogue books. There are ten anthologies of short stories and two of poetry, as listed on our Books page.
- Which month and year? It's not possible to specify the month and year of publication in advance, as it depends on the number and quality of submissions received and other practical considerations.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine but please withdraw your story if accepted elsewhere by selecting "Withdraw" beside your entry in the Submittable system.
- Response time: Submissions are read in sequence by date received. We decide on the next month's featured story at the end of the third week of each month. At that stage, we try to "release" prior submissions. If you have not heard back it means your story is still under consideration for the following month.
- We can't provide feedback on stories, or enter into discussion about selection criteria etc.
- Permissions: Except for permission to display your submitted story online on our website and possibly, in some cases, an audio reading of the story to accompany it, all copyright reverts to you, the author. We have no plans to publish a collection. If that ever arose, we would have to come back to you and ask for separate permission and setup a new contract for that purpose. Just to reassure you on that.
- Back issues: Back issues will remain online as formatted PDF documents, unless removed later on request from the author, or at the discretion of the editor.
- Data Protection: We wish to communicate entirely via Submittable.com's message system, not collecting any of your data outside of that. We won't pass your information to anyone else, unless compelled to do so by law.
- Submission constitutes acceptance of these terms.
- Who are we? At present we are Steve Moran. My website is at www.sjmoran.com. But there might be guest editors or readers, therefore it is not the royal we, have no fear. Previously, I read for the Willesden Herald short story competition for about eleven years. You can read all about the history at www.newshortstories.com/about.
Looking forward to reading. Keep up the good work, all for the love of the short story.
Updated 18 July 2018